The Wedding Thank You Speech
A wedding thank you speech is one more chance for the bride and groom to thank their guests and everyone who helped to make their day special.
Whether the groom, the bride, or both want to give a public thanks, the etiquette remains the same. Here are a few tips followed by a sample wedding thank you speech.
- There is a good chance that your wedding included several speeches. For that reason, it is a good idea to keep all speeches at a wedding â€“ including your thank you speech â€“ short. As a rule of thumb, if the speech is longer than three minutes it is too long.
- If you plan to name names when it comes to who helped you with your wedding, it is a good idea to make sure that you have the names written down. Also understand that there is a risk that you will inadvertently forget someone and that their feelings will be hurt. One way to avoid this is to thank everyone who helped without naming names.
- Opening your speech with a bit of humor is a great way to get the attention of your guests.
- It is appropriate for either the bride or groom to speak for the couple. If, however, you both want give a separate speech then you should be especially mindful to keep them short.
- When you give your wedding thank you speech is largely a matter of personal preference. Some like to give the speech somewhere between the middle and the end of dinner. This assures that most people will be seated and that those who might tend to leave early will still be there.
- You should practice reading your speech out loud several times. This isn't necessarily to memorize the speech, but so that you will not have to stare at the paper the whole time. Instead, you should be looking around at your guests as you speak.
A Sample Thank You Speech
Here is an example of a wedding thank you speech that you can use as a template for writing your own.
Amanda and I want to thank all of our guests for taking the time to celebrate with us today. We understand that being here was a special sacrifice for some as there is a Red Sox/Yankees game going on as we speak.
We truly are humbled by the show of love and support that we have received from family and friends not just today, but also over the last several months. So many of you have helped with various aspects of the planning and I can say this wedding would not have been nearly as beautiful or as organized without your help.
This is certainly a special day for Amanda and me, and I hope that the support that you've shown us will continue. As we embark on our new life together, I hope that those of you who have been married for many years will be willing to offer advice when needed. We are committed to staying married for the long haul, and we know it will be so much easier with all of your by our sides.
Enjoy the rest of the party, and again, thank you all so much for being here today. It means more to both of us than I could ever express.
As you can see, it doesn't take a lot of talking to let your guests know how much you appreciate their support. When you write your wedding thank you speech, just be sincere. You'll be surprised at how easy it can be to express your gratitude.